Ahhh how I love sour cream and pierogies…. They go hand in hand together but eating too much of the rich cream is not good on anybody’s waistline. Which is why I’ve recently tried subbing sour cream with a high protein Greek yogurt (like the one from Oikos) to make it a little more nutritious and less sinful.
If you’ve never tried subbing Greek yogurt for sour cream before, don’t worry. The consistency is extremely similar and the difference in flavour is barely noticeable. Using full fat Greek yogurt will yield the most similar results so I’d definitely recommend using that over 0% or low fat varieties.
Here are some benefits of Greek Yogurt:
- Greek yogurt has 2 times the protein vs regular low-fat yogurt
- Dairy protein contains all 9 essential amino acids the human body can’t produce on its own
- Greek yogurt has less lactose than regular non strained yogurt
Also, if you look at the image below, you can see that subbing 3 tbsps of sour cream with Plain Greek yogurt will save you 6.7 grams of fat in total!
Here is a quick and super simple recipe for some beautiful Pan-fried Potato and Cheese Pierogies.
- Cook pre-packaged pierogies in salted boiling water according to package instructions.
- In a skillet on medium high heat, cook bacon until most of the fat has rendered and cut it into little pieces using a pair of kitchen scissors.
- Using the bacon fat, add sliced white onions until translucent and tender.
- Add boiled pierogies and pan fry until golden brown. Stir in frozen peas at the same time.
- Once pierogies have a nice golden colour on both sides and peas are thoroughly heated through, transfer to plate and add shaved parmesan, a nice drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, and add a heaping dollop of Oikos High Protein Plain Yogurt
Honestly, I didn’t miss the sour cream taste at all, and the Oikos High Protein Plain Yogurt worked PERFECTLY with this recipe. I definitely will try to sub sour cream with Greek yogurt wherever I can in the future.
If you gave this recipe a try, please let me know in the comments or DM me at @eatingwithkirby on Insta!
Disclaimer: Thank you to Oikos for sponsoring this blog post and for allowing me to create an awesome recipe with their product. All opinions are my own.